[vmchecker-dev] vmchecker web services specification

Lucian Adrian Grijincu lucian.grijincu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:42:11 EET 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Alexandru Moșoi <brtzsnr at gmail.com> wrote:
> The specification looks good to me. I am confused about
> authentication: are we going to use LDAP or implementit ourselves?

LDAP
The GUI doesn't care it just talks to the login service. In this
implementation it uses LDAP, but can be implemented by other means.

> In
> the future we might want to separate tester and storer as two
> completely different services, but for now GUI is a priority :).

I'm confused.
They have been separated since the beginning.
Elaborate.

> mod_python is one way to go, though I had some problems configuring it
> so I had to recompile it a few times (some configuration is chosen at
> compile time). other than that it's great. an alternative to
> mod_python would be cherrypy [2]. I used both: cherrypy is easier, but
> usually for more complex sites; mod_python is more lowlevel and has a
> smaller community. For vmchecker my vote goes to mod_python.

Compiling won't be a problem (apt-get install).
We'll have a look at cherrypy. We thought cerrypy was a standalone
webserver and that messes some things up (need to run it on a separate
port, "same origin" javascript issue), but they say it can be used
with an existing Apache/lightttpd/etc.

The services we'll deploy should be very simple, so each should be fine.

--
 .
..: Lucian