[vmchecker-dev] questions

Lucian Adrian Grijincu lucian.grijincu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 00:09:12 EEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Mihai Tabara<tabara.mihai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Few questions regarding python, libvirt, OpenVZ:
>
> 1) I'm currently using Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop Edition. Being able to test
> vmexecutor needs OpenVZ installation. As far as I read, one should have the
> Ubuntu Server Edition for a correct installation. Am I right ?
> Do I really have to install Server Edition, or it can work with Desktop as
> well ?

> If I got so far, could anyone explain me briefly what's the main difference
> between Desktop Edition and Server Edition ?

> Desktop edition = server edition + desktop interface
That's correct. One main difference: the kernel used: there are three
kernel versions (at least in 9.10 Karmic)
* linux-image-generic - Generic Linux kernel image
-- this is optimized for interactive desktop applications:
--- preemption
--- shorted time quotas (reduces the latency of an application response)
* linux-image-server - Linux kernel image on Server Equipment.
-- this is optimized for servers:
--- no preemption
--- longer allocated time quotas (reduced time wasted on task switches)
--- specialized kernel modules built for it
* linux-image-virtual - Linux kernel image for virtual machines
-- virtual stuff, hell knows.

> 2) Which libraries should I install in order to use libvirt ? only the
> python-libvirt ?

libvirt is a C library that makes working with different types of VMs uniform.
python-libvirt is just a wrapper over the C library exposing that API
natively into Python.
Yep that's the one you should use.

> 3) @ Adriana:  while you were coding the vmexecutor, were you testing it on
> the virtual machine ?

Yep, Adriana had a vmware vm on her machine.

> 4) I would really need some techincal assistance. I read a great deal of
> documentation so far but a lot of things seem unclear.
> Although I'm a newbie in python , I suppose I can handle the language, but
> I'm facing difficulties in understanding the way libvirt works over my OS.

I'll send you a private email later to arrange a meeting.

--
 .
..: Lucian