[dexonline] Despre blogpost si prezentarea finala

Mihai Barbulescu b12mihai at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:51:44 EEST 2011

Ok, cine are cont pe blog sa intre sa vada draftul si eventual sa aduca
imbunatatiri, corecturi sau injuraturi:

*DEX Online: At the course's end*

As you might have already found out, the 3rd edition of the ROSEdu Community
and Development Laboratory is at the end. On Sunday, 17 April 2011, in our
faculty of Computer Science we will present our final results in our
projects.

We were glad to meet Cătălin Frâncu, the owner of the website DEX
Online<http://www.dexonline.ro/>.
He told us something about software engineering, working in a big company as
a programmer and also as an engineer, the difference between software
engineering and programming and he told us about his experience at Google.
After the presentation we talked a little about developing DEX Online, about
solving the bugs, implementing new features to the dictionary and we hope
that more students will have a contribution to this project so important for
those who speak Romanian.

I proposed to ROSEdu to put DEX Online on the list of projects for ROSEdu
Summer of Code <http://soc.rosedu.org/2011>. I think that it would be a
pleasant experience: reading code, solving bugs, finding bugs in other
developer's code, working in team and learning from your colleagues. For
instance, I had almost no knowledge about XML and Javascript and I had no
idea that they might be extremely useful in developing extensions for
popular browsers. I also didn't know how to make a website with PHP and a
whole database in SQL work on my local machine, just as it works online,
hosted on a server. Thanks to my colleagues and my mentors I discovered this
new things.

*COMING SOON:* What we managed to do in the project.