[rosedu-general] Google event - SRE Classroom

Alexandru Juncu alexj at rosedu.org
Thu Nov 8 20:52:33 EET 2012

Special pentru fete :P

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Beate List <blist at google.com>
Date: 8 November 2012 20:24
Subject: Google event - SRE Classroom
To: Victor Cărbune <victor.carbune at gmail.com>, Alexandru Juncu
<alexandrujuncu at gmail.com>

Hi Victor & Alexandru,

could you send this email out to your students / members? I guess
people might be interested in the workshop.

thank you Beate

At Google we create some of the world's largest, most complex and
rapidly changing distributed systems. The Site Reliability Engineering
(SRE) team is responsible for making these distributed systems as
fast, scalable, reliable and as low maintenance as possible and they
work behind the scenes 24x7 to make this happen.

Google is pleased to announce a new event this year, SRE Classroom.
The SRE team would like to spend a day sharing some key philosophies
that go into designing & managing large distributed systems through a
series of lectures and practical group exercises. Participants will
leave with a great insight into how SREs design systems at Google.

Google is invested in increasing the enrollment of Computer Science
students who are historically underrepresented in the field so for
that reason we would like to invite female students who meet the below
criteria to apply for the event.

SRE Classroom will be taking place at Google London on Monday 26th
November. Google will cover airfare/rail and hotel for non-local
individuals attending the session.

We encourage applications from individuals who meet the following criteria:

Female student studying a Bachelors, Masters or PhD
Studying Computer Science or a closely related technical degree
Experience programming in C, C++, Java and/or Python
Experience in network programming and/or developing large software systems
Experience with Unix/Linux systems

If you are interested in applying to attend, please complete this
form. The application deadline is Friday 16th November and we will be
notifying selected attendees by Wednesday 21st November.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact jennymccoll at google.com.

Thanks
Beate

--