[robocheck-dev] Ping

Andrei Tuicu andrei.tuicu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 00:04:18 EEST 2015

Hi,

Well, since we have all the prerequisites in place (meaning unit tests for
the existing tools and support for Windows), I think it's about time we
start adding new tools. I would suggest checkpatch[1], which is a tool for
static analysing coding style and it is already used by the Operating
Systems course team, but the output is not parsed in any way. As usual, I'm
recommending that the pull request for the tool comes with unit tests.
Additionally (we won't be able to see this, unless you do separate commits,
but it would help you in the future), you could try writing the tests first
and only after the implementation (Test Driven Development). The reason why
I'm point out that it is a static analysing tool, is because the existing
tools that Robocheck uses are dynamic. While I do remember designing the
core for supporting both types of tools, I don't remember if I did the
implementation all the way. Also, an open discussion here would be if this
should change in any way the configuration.

If Laura has other suggestions here, you should follow those, because she
knows better what tools are being used in the faculty. :)

@Laura: I would suggest giving Constantin commit and merge rights for the
repository. I haven't wrote much Python ever since this project and I feel
like I'm slowing things down here rather than helping. While I still do
encourage that he submits pull requests, so we can discuss things from a
functional perspective, or design choices, something missing, etc., I think
his contributions show that he can handle the responsibilities that come
from such great power. :) Also, a big plus is that he helped Theodor
Stoican make his first contribution. What do you think?

Cheers,
Andrei

[1] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/scripts/checkpatch.pl